Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tribute

On the morning of January 29, we got the shocking and horrifying news that Tim's older brother, Bill, had passed away. Not a dream, not a joke.



Bill was the perfect friend and uncle. He was our go-to guy for entertainment and companionship. He was creative and fun- always coming up with a reason to celebrate. Bill was selfless, generous, and supportive. We deeply miss him.

After the news has had time to settle in, and after one awful and beautiful week of getting business taken care of, we have all been trying to find ways to preserve Bill's memories and honor his life. We had all been talking, Bill included, in ways to get healthier- with the family vacation at the beach as a goal line.
With Tim's family, we've come up with a six month plan for better health. I feel like its a way we can honor Bill's life by trying to lengthen and enrich ours.

So here's the plan. Each month has a health and fitness theme, and I'd like to add a personal improvement theme. We all have our own personal goals within that theme...each month will build on the months previous, resulting in a healthier lifestyle that will hopefully have become habit.

Exercise/Food
February: Develop an exercise routine/ Portion control
March: Find physical hobbies/ Fast food
April: Calorie education/measurement/ Vegetables
May: Increase exercise intensity/ Sugars
June: Doctor visit/annual physical/ Whole grains
July: Try something new/ Beverages

February's goals for me are:
1. At least 30 min of exercise 5 days a week
2. No seconds at meals and no mindless snacking while cooking or between meals
3. Personal prayer morning and night (I have gotten out of the habit)

Each successful day I get a dollar to spend on myself...and I'll be that much more ready for a beach vacation with the family in August.

This is one small way to pay tribute to a life taken way too early. It is a reminder to me how precious each day is and how important it is to take care of ourselves; body, mind, and spirit. We will continue to miss you, Bill. We will think of you often and cherish your memory.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. How difficult to lose such a wonderful loved-one and so early in life. My prayers are with you and your family.
    You are such an inspiration to me. I'm going to create my own health plan too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences to you both. What a terrible loss. Your goals are inspiring and will bless your little boy with healthy parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I totally stumbled on it through Facebook. I guess this is what I do for fun while Dale is at his Manly EQ party. Love the post about your brother-in-law. He sounds like one incredible man! Your goals are so inspiring! What a great way to honor him and his life. ;) I hope you got the cookies in your mail box the other day. I still owe you a babysitting make-up day since it snowed that day and dinner some night. Give me a ring whenever you want either of those. Supper Club was awesome last night and SO YUMMY! and, you look really hot for just having a baby! Lovin' the hair. Hope you guys are hanging in there and loving each other more through your loss. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete