Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A "Splash" of Color

I grew up in a tiny town in Idaho. My parents are potato farmers (so cliche, I know) and I grew up with parents and brothers who taught me how to work. My Dad is the hardest working person I have ever known. He always has a project going on. He can make or build ANYTHING: farm machinery, potato cellar, tree house...and most recently he remodeled our house. By remodel I mean nearly gutted the entire upstairs, moved the staircase, raised the ceilings- this was no small project. My Dad designed the whole thing and made it happen- quickly too. Tim and I were so impressed and inspired that we wanted to take on a project of our own...but on a much, much smaller scale.



This is our kitchen. It's one of the last rooms in our house to be painted because we couldn't come up with a color to match our scheme with these Christmasy red and green ceramic backsplash tiles...so we decided to switch it out. Easy, right? If I'm my fathers daughter, it will be done flawlessly by tomorrow morning!


After weeks of living with our stove as an island and our microwave on the countertop we finally finished the last touchups today. I feel like I should know better how to do this type of project because they were always going on growing up...but I guess I wasn't paying very close attention because each task we undertake is such a learning experience.



We love how it turned out...but just don't look too closely or your bound to see our beginner's flaws.

4 comments:

  1. I think it looks really great!! And even after seeing it in person I didn't see a single flaw! Way to go on the DIY-ness!! I wish I would have paid attention to a lot more than I did while growing up too! Oh well. :). Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! We'll have to come by to see it in person. I really wish we could tackle projects like this.....it makes me too nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete